Sunday, December 15, 2013

My letter to you

From Momma to Poppy...

My little seed, how you have grown. To love something so small and delicate is the most overwhelming sensation. I want to let you in on a little secret: dads have it easy, at least this far. He has gotten to hear your heartbeat and see you on big screens and that's how he knows you're safe and sound. I feel you. Even if right now you are merely bubbles in my belly. I think that's something we will always share. I will feel the drop of your first tear. Your first laugh will be more than just sound. When I don't feel you, that's when my whole world is put on pause. 

When you get here, you will start to create your own life, your own independence and sense of self. It will be hard for me to let you go, but I know as long as we give you the power of knowledge and curiosity you will be just fine. Every day I will try to fill your head with ideas big and small. Some days you won't want to listen and that's fine but know I will try my best to have answers when you are ready to ask your own questions. 

Today, there are a million things I could tell you, but I will start with ten. These ten things may be of little or great importance but they may serve you some use one day.

10. There is a great debate on whether or not money can buy happiness, I say that's up to you to decide. Right now, we have very little but I cannot picture a time I have been more content. 

9. A smile can turn the darkest of days around.

8. Fear can be a good thing as long as you don't let it control your life. Listen to your fear but turn around and prove it unnecessary.

7. Parents don't always know best. We will fight you tooth and nail on anything but we are all just people of equal value and can be wrong.  

6. I cannot stress enough that ALL people are equal. ALL people are beautiful. 

5. Finding your own faith and testimony might not be easy and we will always be here for guidance but YOUR faith is just that; yours. Your relationship with God will be a personal one that no one else can force upon you or take away. 

4. Some people are cat people and some people are dog people and that's okay. 

3. Use your voice, it is arguably your most powerful weapon. Speaking of... speaking, your father and I are loud and obnoxious and will embarrass you. I promise you will appreciate it some day

2. All you need is love. And I don't mean that you need the love of someone else. Love yourself, be your own best friend and the rest will follow. 

1. Being number one is too definitive, I will leave this for you to discover. 


I am a part of you, you are a part of me and forever we will be. 


4 comments:

  1. It has been so long since we have spoke and over the years, from time to time, I search your name and see what you are up to. I can always be sure that you are happy and appear to be living as happily as you can. I now have two children and this is something I will pass on to them, your 'ten out of a million things to say' because it is beautiful and inspirational, just as you have always been for me. When we knew each other, when we were friends, you were the most important person in my life. I felt like you were the only one who was there for me. You were my best friend, though it was short and I'm not sure if I was your best friend, but that is okay; you were kind to me and didn't treat me any differently than a friend would treat another. You and your family are beautiful, as I'm sure always will be. Continue to have a wonderful, beautiful, successful life.

    -Tariana
    SF 1998

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on this blog for a while and something brought me here today...and I'm so glad I did! I know I'm a few days late but today this was exactly what I needed. I have talked about you to my husband many times and always wondered where you were in so glad you reached out to me. Thank you so much for such kind words. I am smack dab in the middle of finals but once j get over this hump I would really love to catch up. I can't seem to add you on Facebook so if you feel so inclined, add me! Although I'll probably just direct you to my cell at that point because I'm useless when it comes to Facebook or at least I have been lately. I really hope we can talk soon. It was lovely to hear from you and I'm so happy to hear you have a happy family of your own. I'm thinking this response may look like its from my husband but I assure you it's me!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Good luck on finals! I've been in school since 2012, I'll be finished by, or right after, the end of this year. So Stoked! We're linked up on Facebook now, so hmu anytime :)

      Delete